Sunday, November 27, 2005

Choices

Recently I’ve been playing a lot of poker online, and a bit of bricks and mortar style in a local live tournament. It’s a great game; my favourite version is Texas holdem’ although I am learning seven card stud and Omaha.
     The game of poker comes down to odds, it’s a long term game played over your entire life, not a single hand or session, the result of this is that sometimes a player will “run bad”, that is they will appear to get a run of bad luck. Getting bad cards are a fact of the game, but as Kenny Rogers helpfully points out “every hand’s a winner and every hand’s a loser” a long run of seemingly bad cards can be very frustrating, but it happens all the time. When the bad cards keep flowing, it becomes very difficult to accurately asses the value of the cards, bad hands begin to look good, and good hands begin to look bad. I think this is the same in real life.
     Sometimes things seem to go against us far more than they go in our favour, this is a fact of life, the result is that our perspective on things begins to get very skewed, opportunities arrive, but we don’t see them because everything else is going bad, or choices seem like an easy way out but are in fact only a road to further problems.
     I am currently trying to overcome this exact problem, I’m holding my two cards but I don’t know how to evaluate them, should I play them or should I fold them, if I play am I going to be facing a flop full of over cards? If I fold am I going to miss flopping top trips (three of a kind)? It’s a difficult choice, but life is about the difficult choices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home